My favorite granola recipe, and not just for sentimental reasons. It just doesn’t get any more wholesome than this! Six different whole grains, the nutrient density of wheat germ, and the staying power of proteins and healthy oils from nuts. Ok, sounds healthy, but how does it taste? Delicious! Even I won’t eat stuff just because it’s good for you! It has to be tasty too. My kids ate it for breakfast this morning! I store mine in the freezer for freshness and serve it with Thrive blueberries and raspberries.
A little goes a long way, making it very economical. As for the recipe, I don’t even have to pull it out of the box to copy it below — I make it that often! It is the perfect midday snack as well, and you won’t feel even a smidge of “mom-guilt” as you watch your family enjoy it. On the contrary, eating Grandma’s granola will turn them (and you) into superheroes! Lastly, this is an easy recipe to make. Your oven does all the work. In fact, if you’re lucky enough to have a convection oven, you can even skip the stirring/rack-swapping step below. Just leave the pans in the oven for the full two hours (on convection bake).
Note: Since moving to a remote location, I’ve found it harder to find all the ingredients for this recipe (wheat germ, etc.). I’ve been able to omit many of the ingredients at one time or another and still end up with a delicious cereal. I’ve even done it without the honey and just substituted brown sugar instead. My last batch was only 6-grain, oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, and the six ingredients that make up the “slosh” you pour over them. Still very tasty and nutritious! I LOVE a recipe you can “work with”!
- YIELD: 18 cups (54 Servings)
- PREP: 15 mins
- COOK: 2 hrs 0 min
- READY IN: 2 hrs 15 mins
A wholesome mix of whole grains, nuts and seeds. Absolutely delicious and packed with nutrients and fiber.
- 10 cups 6-grain rolled cereal
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups wheat germ raw
- 1 cup sunflower seeds raw
- 1/2 cup sesame seed optional
- 1 cup chopped raw almonds
- 1 cup chopped raw pecans optional
- 1 cup additional chopped nuts of your choice optional
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine 6 grain cereal, rolled oats, wheat germ, seeds and nuts in a large mixing bowl. Mix and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, water, vegetable oil, honey, salt and vanilla. Heat and stir until ingredients are all dissolved.
- Pour warm liquid over the grain mixture and mix well until coated.
- Divide mixture into two jelly roll pans (11X15) or cookie sheets. Spread evenly over bottom of pans.
- Place both pans on alternating racks in a 250 degree oven. Bake for one hour, then stir the contents of both pans and replace them on opposite racks in the oven. Bake for one more hour until pleasantly toasted.
- Cool. Store in freezer in containers or bags for optimum freshness.
- COURSE: Breakfast
- SKILL LEVEL: Easy