Zesty Quinoa Salad
This healthful vegan recipe is slightly adapted from one by the same name on allrecipes.com. I follow it almost entirely, but changed the seasonings a bit. I was searching specifically for a black bean/quinoa combo and found this. It is astoundingly delicious! Everyone who tries this LOVES it! When I first make it, we eat it warm. Then we eat the leftovers cold from the fridge. It is fantastic both ways, but I prefer the warm just a tad more.
This colorful salad can stand on its own as a main dish! High in protein and nutrients, it has a nice little kick from red pepper, fresh lime juice, and fresh cilantro. It is fresh, savory, citrusy, exhilarating, light (but satisfying), fragrant, and fun!
- Yield: 6 servings
- Prep: 15 min
- Cook: 15 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups halved cherry tomatoes, or whole tomatoes chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed in hot water (to warm them up)
- 5 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and ground black pepper to taste (I usually omit these)
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until water is absorbed (about 15 minutes).
- While the quinoa cooks, whisk olive oil, lime juice, cumin, salt, and red pepper flakes together in a small bowl.
- In a larger bowl, stir together quinoa, tomatoes, onions,black beans, and cilantro. Pour dressing mix over the top and mix in evenly. Add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve immediately, while warm, or chill in refrigerator if you prefer it cold. Stores well in refrigerator.